What? College Bound?

Last night, my son casually announced that his college applications need to be finalized by middle of December.


Son: Oh yeah, I need to decide my future by middle of December.


Me: What?


Son: Yeah, middle of December. All my college applications need to be finalized.


Me: WTH are you talking about? College what?


Son: Mom, you know COLL-EGE. A place where I’ll go to CON-TIN-UE my education.


Me: I know what college is, but this can’t be possible. What grade are you in?


It seems like it was only yesterday that he was starting kindergarten. I remember every single report card vividly and nowhere did they include the warning “YOUR CHILD IS STARTING COLLEGE IN 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1 YEAR(S)”.


I am not prepared for this – emotionally or financially (more emotionally). Selfishly, J and I have been living our lives to the fullest – traveling the world, wining and dining ourselves silly and then all of a sudden – BAM! This *shit* happens.


What the hell happened to the last 17 years of my life? When did my son grow up? You would think this is something I would have noticed since I’m not away from home THAT much.


Wait, I have noticed – he’s not grown up. He’s not ready to move away. He won’t be able to deal with the challenges ahead of him. He’s not yet equipped with enough life skills to make it…OR, is he?


Could it be possible that I’m actually the one with all of the problems? I doubt it - it's him...

Comments

Beatriz said…
Sorry to hear that he went from kindergarten to Senio in only a year ;) They do grow up fast. It sounds weird but that's how I feel about my little sister. Mind you not so little anymore, she just turned 18 yesterday :(

I am 13 years older than her, can you believe that?! I still remember when I changed her diapers or she fell asleep on my tummy while I was reading a book. Now she likes boys, thinks she's the best thing since sliced bread, and knows everything! Where does the time go...
Brian Miller said…
in the blink of an eye...wish i could slow it down.
@SA - "thinks she's the best thing since sliced bread, and knows everything" - hahaha that's a definite sign of a teenager!

@Brian - I wish I had some advice for you to help slow things down, but I'm at a loss. It will happen WAY faster than it should.
Sylvia said…
I've been thinking seriously about this problem lately. In my country, even college education is still mostly free. We pay a fee each year, but nothing really much. There is enough student support. We pay the materials, and that's already enough expensive. Here, I've spoken to kids who don't go to college because they must pay thousands of pounds. That's education designed (only) to upper classes. Outrageous. So many intelligent boys and girls who don't have the opportunity.
Mara said…
Time certainly does fly by...

Popular posts from this blog

January Blows...

Heard It Through A Cube Wall...Version 3.0