06 April, 2014
Sunday, April 06, 2014 Beach, beach glass, beachcombing, Beaches, Lake Erie, Sea Glass, Spring 4 comments
Today was our first walk on the beach for the season in Canada. We started out with hats and gloves, but by the end of our 4 mile round-trip, we were toastsy (actually sweaty) and the sun was shining brightly. There is still a lot of ice on the lake and it will likely be there for a few more weeks before the open water reaches the shore, but it was a wonderful, sunny day. It's been a long, hard winter for sure.
The beachcombing was also fantastic and I was able to collect a few treasures that had been uncovered by the winter winds and receding water. Here is one photo of a large purple, frosted piece. Purple is said to one of the rarest of colors, needless to say, I was super-excited to find it.
01 April, 2014
Well, there's a longer blog post in the making about our recent trip to the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador. It is a truly awe-inspiring place to visit, but for now, I present a bit of our underwater experiences.
Here's a little snippet prepared by J - filmed using my GoPro camera (which I should point out - I've never used since buying it over a year ago). I did get to open the box though. I think I'll let J keep it - he's pretty good with it.
17 March, 2014
Get your minds out of the gutter...I'm actually headed to the Galapagos Islands.
Blue Footed Booby
Red Footed Booby
I'm hoping to post some photos from Ecuador provided we have wifi. Hasta luego...
10 March, 2014
Monday, March 10, 2014 Early Retirement, Flamingo Tongue Designs, jewelry, Photos, promotion, Surfing Flamingo No comments
You may remember awhile ago, I introduced a logo, which has a work in progress. Well, this is the final version…
Well, the plan for its use is still forming, but we know the logo will be incorporated into whatever we decide to do when we retire early, which by the way is still 3-4 years away. *sigh*
We have some great ideas, but those ideas are dependent on a number of things that we can’t finalize until we are finally on location. Surfing Flamingo - for now, is the name of our new Etsy shop. There you will find some of J’s photos for digital download, his custom greeting cards (not your regular Hallmark line) and some of my beach-inspired jewelry.
I’m still running my shop, Flamingo Tongue Designs (hmmm I see a pattern forming in the names) – could that be a hint of where our hearts belong?
In any event, please feel free to stop by Surfing Flamingo or Flamingo Tongue Designs and see what we’ve been up to.
07 March, 2014
Tonight’s Lotto Max jackpot is estimated to be approximately fifty million dollars, plus 30 additional prizes of one million dollars.
I don’t buy lottery tickets on a regular basis but I couldn’t resist purchasing a ticket for this one. I know, I know, my odds are greatly reduced because the jackpot is so high and so many more people are buying tickets but I couldn’t resist. I could do so much good with fifty million dollars – not just for me, but for others as well.
Let’s start with myself, friends and family:
- I would obviously be retiring early – is Monday soon enough for you?
- I would purchase my oceanfront house in Bonaire and a sweet boat – rigged for both diving and fishing.
- I would purchase J’s parents a nice condo, new vehicle and give them enough money to live comfortably.
- I would give J’s sister and brother enough money to pay off their mortgages.
- I would build my dad a cabin in the woods, buy him a new truck and give him enough money to live comfortably.
- I would set up a trust fund for The Boy, purchase him a new truck and pay off his student debt.
- For friends, I would take them on an all inclusive dive trip (spending money included) – somewhere warm and exotic that we wouldn’t otherwise have gone – maybe Bora Bora or Fiji. For those that don't dive or didn't want to participate, I'd give them the cash equivalent.
- I would set up a scholarship fund for kids that otherwise couldn’t afford to go to college, which would pay for tuition, housing, books, everything. Maybe kids from single parent households or whose parents never had the opportunity for a secondary education would benefit the most. I’d want to include a mentoring component to make sure these kids succeeded.
- I would like to set up a program where annually I could offer a deserving families an all expense paid trip to a destination of their choice. I know how fortunate I am to be able to travel and how valuable those experiences have been for me. I would like to share that.
- Since I will be living on Bonaire, I will give generously to charities there – in particular, the Donkey Sanctuary and Bonaire Animal Shelter. I would also like to help develop programs for kids on the island for both educational and sporting opportunities.
There. Now that it’s down on paper, I’m committed to sharing the wealth and I’m ready to win.
Happy Friday Everyone!