Bon Voyage...

  • My son departed for his Alaskan cruise on Saturday. Although he is being chaperoned by the family of his best friend, it was still tough dropping him off at the airport knowing he would be facing a lot of first on-his-own (or at least not with me). Although he will be 17 on Thursday, he’s still my baby boy and I struggled with letting him go.
  • Keeping in mind he is a 17 year old boy and knowing his attention span can be rather short, I worry about things like - How will he manage to maneuver airport security? How long will it be before he loses his passport, wallet, backpack or new camera (again)? Will he remember to pick up his suitcase before he departs the airport? Will the customs officials even let him into the United States or will they think he has been abducted by the family he is travelling with? Will the family he is travelling with remember he is travelling with them? Although they are responsible, they are very disorganized and I can easily imagine this turning into a Home Alone episode.
  • It’s now Monday and I haven’t heard from my son, so I assume he hasn’t lost his passport, wallet or backpack and that he obviously hasn’t spent all his money, so life is good – assuming he made it to the ship on time.
  • I’m sadden by the thought that he won’t be at home for his birthday on Thursday and I hope his surrogate family will remember to at least wish him a Happy Birthday on the day. Who am I kidding? He will be on an Alaskan cruise and having the time of his life and the usual cake, dinner and a movie with his mom and dad will hardly compare.
  • With all my worries aside, I know this is an excellent opportunity for him and while I’m concerned about his well being, I am hopeful that this is the first in a number of journeys he will take on his own and I’m excited to know that this will give him the confidence to experience all life has to offer – whether it be locally or abroad.
  • Let’s be honest, I’m jealous that I’m not on holidays too…

Comments

Brian Miller said…
lol. love the honesty at the end...smiles. know you will miss him on his birthday, tough. better get used to it mom, at 17 time is coming soon...
JW.BW said…
WOW!! What a fantastic way to spend your 17th birthday!! Thats just awesome. And of course I am super jealous too! I've always wanted to do an Alaskan cruise!! I am sure he will have a wonderful time that he will never forget!
f8hasit said…
It IS hard isn't it? My daughter is only 10 but left last week with her dad for a trip to S.Carolina. The place she's staying is gorgeous and although I'm glad she has such a wonderful opportunity, I can't help but wish I were having as much fun!

I SHOULD be enjoying the quiet, but can't wait for her to return back home...

Thanks for your post!
:-)
Bobby Allan said…
I just had a birthday and no one sent me on a cruise! What an adventure for him. You know he's missing you, too. He just won't admit it. :-)

Hope he brings pics you can share. As long as he doesn't lose this camera.
CrazyCris said…
He'll be fine! I went on my first "alone" trip (with friends of my parents) to France and Spain the summer I turned 13 and I turned out ok! (sort of, lol!) Now that I think about it, the only part of that trip I didn't enjoy was not being home for my birthday!

I'm totally jealous... ALASKA?! Yo quiero!!!
Brian - Believe me, as much as I know how fast he is growing up, it doesn't get any easier to accept.

JW.BW - What can I say? I'm an awesome mother! I hope he it's a trip he will never forget, although I suspect he will "forget" to take some photos.

f8hasit - Funny how we wish for the peace and quiet and then when it comes, it's not so great. I'm sure your daughter is missing you just as much as you are missing her...

Chrissy - I'd be happy to send you on a cruise for your next birthday; PROVIDED I have won the lottery by then.

Cris - You aren't making me feel any better about him not being home for his birthday - LOL. I know he'll be fine and I honestly expect that he will be the one looking after the surrogate family given their constant state of disorganization.
Beatriz said…
Look at it this way, now you have the freedom to walk around the house anyway you want too! I miss those days...*sigh* I don't think my roommates would appreciate other views or angles though ;D I kid! Hope he has tons of fun and try not to worry too much!
SA - Funny you should mention that - my husband already suggested the same thing! LOL
CrazyCris said…
Sorry 'bout that! Maybe I should have specified that among the several families I stayed with that summer (including a fortnight with my grandparents), for the week covering my birthday I was with an old school-friend of my mom's who had two boys both younger than me who were absolutely annoying and horrible! For a 13 year-old girl that qualifies as a lousy birthday! On the other hand I discovered Nutella, and Karnak so... all in all it was a great summer!

Popular posts from this blog

January Blows...

Q&A With Myself...