Tiny Island, Big Adventures...


Today has been a monumental day for me, as today is the day I finally got off my ass and mailed my picture book manuscript to a few book publishers.

Tiny Island, Big Adventures” has been based upon the wild donkeys that roam free on the small Caribbean Island of Bonaire and my interpretation of their daily interactions with tourists.

Most of the island’s donkey population are wild and are left to their own devices; however there are a select few that are brave enough to approach vehicles looking for some affection or a snack and may even pose long enough for photo opportunity. It was on my first visit to Bonaire that I encountered these donkeys and even when I am not there, they hold a special place in my memories. It’s actually a part of what draws me back to this island time and again. Well, in all honesty, it’s actually the donkeys, the fantastic scuba diving, warm weather, great food, friendly people and cold Brights beer…

The book has been a work in progress for well over 4 years and although it has been completed for sometime, I haven’t been motivated enough to mail it off and have procrastinated on doing so for over a year now. Perhaps my hesitation has been driven by the fear of rejection or self-doubting in my abilities? Life is too short to second guess decisions and to be obsessed with “what ifs” – today is my day.

I am confident that I have done a great job and even if the book is not published, I will take satisfaction in knowing that at least someone has read about the adventures of the donkeys of Bonaire, but should the cosmic stars align and I do become an overnight bestseller (or even get published), a portion of the proceeds from the book sales will go to the Donkey Sanctuary of Bonaire (www.donkeysanctuary.org).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Blows...

Still Here, Still Grinding …