Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude...


I’m back from my brief holiday in Arizona and am missing it already.  J and I spent 4 days in Sedona and an additional 2 in Phoenix.  Both cities were fantastic, but each held its own specialness about it.
Having lived briefly in Phoenix in 2000, I knew what to expect with the heat, desert terrain, shopping and the people; however I wasn’t prepared for the breathtaking beauty of Sedona and its laid back vibe.
Highlights of Sedona
Hiking – I didn’t consider myself a hard core “hiker” before this trip, but considered myself more of a “stroller”.  I tend to like to take my time walking, gawking and talking.  At least I did.  After successfully completing a climb up the side of Doe Mountain (on a mountain goat path) and experiencing the vastness and remoteness of the 8 miles West Fork Trail, I’m 100% hard core.  It was challenging, but fun and I lived to tell the tale (even though I swore I was going to die on that mountainside)…
Beads -  Part of the intent of this trip was to source some unique beads and supplies for my business.  I was hoping to find some different beads that couldn’t be found in Canada and that would give my creations a unique feel  and would set my goods apart from what could otherwise be found at Michaels.  With 4 pounds of beads in my carry-on (and a hefty credit card bill to follow), I can honestly say this trip was a success…. 
Simon’s World Famous Hot Dogs – Yep.  One of our most memorable meals was courtesy of Simon’s World Famous Hot Dogs and the Oak Creek Brewery.  Although we prefer a nice dinner once and awhile, J and I are not high-end foodies.  We like to get off the beaten path and go where the locals go and that’s how we wound up in a warehouse in the industrial area of Sedona – home to Oak Creek Brewery and Simon’s.   Where else can you sit beside a vat of beer and enjoy an ice cold beer, accompanied by a super large chili and beef dog, with a side of nachos?  The best part – it was all under $20 and guilt-free thanks to all of the hiking we had done.
The People – It’s hard to explain the people of Sedona, but I would expect that the majority are not originally from Sedona or even Arizona.  I believe the natural beauty and spirituality of the red rocks draw people in from far and wide – both sane and not so much…they are unique.  Where else can you participate in aura readings and make nightly "contact" with ET?  Enough said.
Once J gets around to sharing his 450 pictures with me, I’ll be sure to post a few.

Comments

Brian Miller said…
ooo...cant wait to see the pictures...good job on the hike..a vat of beer and a hotdog, yum...sounds like you had a marvelous trip...
Simply Suthern said…
Welcome home. Glad you had a great time. Sounds like the trip accomplished what it was intended to do.

Cant wait to see some pics as well.
Mama Zen said…
I can't wait to see some pictures!
R. Jacob said…
I am glad your vacation went well. Beer and hot dogs, very good combo.
I've heard Sedona is a world all on its own :)

I have to say I love that type of scenery, glad you had a wonderful time.
Amy said…
I've never been to Sedona. Now you've made me want to go! Sounds like you had an awesome time!
K13 said…
Ohhhh AZ...I've always enjoyed Sedona and heard that the majority of the residents are "wealthy" retired folk...it's a pretty expensive place, so that makes sense to me. Glad you had a good time.
Jacqui said…
Your post has brought back memories of a trip I did to Bryce & Zion Canyons, the scenery there was unbelievable and I loved it.

I can't wait to see some photos.
Raven said…
Welcome home! I'm glad you had a great time. I want to go to Sedona sometime, I've heard it's a very spiritual place. Have fun with all your new beads!

Popular posts from this blog

What I Did On My Summer Vacation - An Essay...

Restless...Time to Write Again?