Random Thoughts - Staying Positive...

It’s a pay week. Pay weeks are what makes working for “the man” all worthwhile.

Our weather here has been very unusual. One day it is unbearably cold, windy and snowing and then the next morning, it becomes unseasonably warm, with tons of rain and then by the end of the same day, we are back to sub-arctic temperatures, flash freezing and snow. The mood swings of Mother Nature are killing my sinuses.  It's January, I guess I shouldn't complain...shouldn't and won't are two different things.

I received a terrifying call from my sister-in-law yesterday telling me that my father-in-law was in the hospital with a suspected blood clot in his lungs. She went on to tell me that they suspected it was a blood clot because he had recently flown. All I could think of is “great, now I’m going to be blamed for killing their father because it was my idea to take them to Hawaii”. The requisite tests were completed, but nothing could be found and by the end of day yesterday, the hospital sent him home. Obviously I’m thankful for the outcome, but I will not be taking him on any trips where airplanes are involved anytime soon.

I’m not sure what was more disturbing – receiving the call from my sister-in-law in the first place or that the hospital sent him home and we still don’t know what caused his problems in the first place.

Speaking of airplanes, it’s only 1 month and 27 days until we leave for the Philippines. Normally we save for these large trips over a 2-3 year period, but this one was fast-tracked to less than a year. To say it’s killed me financially would be an understatement. As I type this, I’m still eating ramen noodles for lunch and will likely be until the day I leave.

I’m not sure if I told you, but for the next 3 ½ months, I’ll be staying at work until 8:00 p.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Why? As you know, Thy Boy has been riding with me to school every day, as I work within a block of the college. It saves him a ton of money, which in turn saves me a ton of money. Well, this semester he has two late night classes and therein lays the reason for my being here until 8:00. He knows better than to complain about it seeing how I’m stuck is the land of misery with him. My mantra on these days: I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

“Constant repetition carries conviction.” – Robert Collier


R. Jacob said…
Back in the olden days (before my time) bad news arrived by telegram. People would be afraid to read it. Now a days, a late night call brings to mind it might be time to worry. I hope he is okay.

As for working late, I work until 10:00 p.m. almost every night. I share your enthusiasm! lol
Okay Ray, I'll stop complaining about working late now that I know how late you go.
I hope you're FIL is doing better and that they figure it out soon. As for the SIL blaming the travel, it seems a little far-fetched to me but then again I'm not a doctor.

I always hated taking late classes when I was in school. It was such a drag, especially because I had an hour commute to the university. Always signed up for the early classes.
CrazyCris said…
Working 'till 8? ouch! Well, that should help with your 5-year plan! ;o)

Tell the boy he definitely owes you one for it though! :p

I hope your father in law is ok! Not knowing what caused something is very scary...

Popular posts from this blog