The (Latest) Countdown is On...

In less than a week, we are off to the Philippines for two glorious weeks of scuba diving, snorkeling, eating, drinking, relaxing , more relaxing and maybe some shopping.

I’m looking forward to everything - except the journey to get there. The first leg of the trip will see us depart Toronto for a 15 hour flight to Hong Kong. Then it’s another 2 hour flight from Hong Kong to Manila and then another 2 hour flight from Manila to Cebu and then a 2 hour bus ride to the dive resort. Estimated time in transit to get there, including flights, wait time at the airports and bus time = 25+ hours.

A previous trip to Palau was 36+ hours of travel time, BUT we had an overnight stop over in Hawaii, which softened the blow a bit.

All of our travel companions are pretty easy going, but I’m sure someone will have a meltdown before that excursion is over. My money is on one of the smokers in the group. Should be interesting. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.

The suitcases are 98% packed. Our 4 pieces of luggage are weighing in at approximately 160 lbs and the carry-ons (filled mostly with camera gear and snacks) are coming in around 15 lbs each.

This week was spent ordering and picking up Philippine Pesos, as apparently US currency is not widely accepted. Thank goodness the lady at the currency exchange provided me with an exchange reference sheet; otherwise what I perceived to be a large amount of 200 PHP is only equal to 63 cents. One of my main rules of traveling – don’t undervalue those that provide a service or else they might spit in your food. This is also my life lesson for today…

I have to keep telling myself, that getting there is half the fun, BUT right now, I’m not buying it…

Comments

Brian Miller said…
you know i am not feeling sorry for you...ha...have fun
@ Brian - I know, I know...I need to stop whining!
Maude Lynn said…
Yeah, I'm having a hard time mustering up much sympathy . . .
CrazyCris said…
Bah! That's nothing! It took me 50h to get home from New Zealand the first time I went! Cheaper flights = longer layovers...

You'll get there, sleep it off, and forget all about it in the wonders of the place the next day! ;o)

Popular posts from this blog

January Blows...

Heard It Through A Cube Wall...Version 3.0